Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finallly !!!!!!!!!!


Yessss, After a week's head bashing I am ready with my Web.Config editor. Since long, I had been looking for a UI to edit web.config keys in my Application.

As we all know that the key values in development environment are rarely same as in staging and production env. So I needed a UI to edit the config keys and save the web.config file with these new values.

Found quite a few tools for the same but they all were not that flexible. They lacked a few things like Encryption of file while saving and before that, decrypting the same if it is encrypted. So I landed on the conclusion that I would make one of my own.

And yes, after a week's efforts, I finished with a working product for now. It has quite a few shortcomings but surely it serves my purpose and hopefully of a lot others. But there are quite a few catches.

1. It works with .NET Framework 2.0 only as the Encryption-Decryption libraries used are a part of 2.0 only.

2. Currently I am handling only 2 sections of the config file : appSettings and connectionString

3. You need the key file imported in your system if reading an Encrypted web.config file.

Would be looking to eliminate these shortcomings pretty soon.

Oh and BTW I am also looking for a good place to upload this app. so that it could be available to others as well.


- Ashutosh



No comments:

Post a Comment